More about Myler Bits..
Experience the Difference That a Comfortable Bit Can Make for Your Horse
The creators of Myler Bits, Ron, Dale and Bob Myler, offer a philosophy of comfort for the horse with each of their bits. The bit is a communication tool, and to effectively communicate with your horse, he must be relaxed. If your horse is resistant, he is not effectively receiving your message and needs a different bit which allows him to relax.
The Myler bitting system is designed around the concept of tongue relief. In a traditional single jointed bit, when pressure is applied to the reins it creates a "nutcracker" effect, by collapsing onto the tongue, which makes it difficult for the horse to swallow. When a horse is unable to swallow, they are unable to move forward in a relaxed and comfortable frame.
- Recognize the Signs of Resistance
- Going behind the bit
- Going above the bit (inversion)
- Chewing, overactive mouth, tongue outside of the mouth
- Running through the bit, pulling, or not stopping
- Heavy on the forehand, leaning on the bit
- Putting tongue over the bit
- Sucking tongue into the back of the throat
If your horse exhibits these symptoms, and all dental and medical reasons have been eliminated, try a Myler Bit.